Monday, January 18, 2021

Simple Joys

In my tiny daily world I have two simple joys.

My tiny daily world consists of Carol and Maka. Odds are that I will not give a shit about anyone else I deal with on most days.

My wife and a cat. How lucky am I?

Carol takes great pleasure in small things. She really makes the best of life. She is easily made happy.

I marvel at that. It is the perfect approach to life.

Example: Last Thursday I told her I would swing by the 99 on Friday night and pick up supper. She was immediately excited. Said as soon as she was done doing what she was doing she would pick something off the menu.

And she did. Probably 10 minutes after I brought it up she was looking at the menu and talking excitedly. 

It made me feel so happy. To make her happy.

That is one example out of a million. Such a little thing and she made it feel so big.

I pay attention to whatever little thing is making her happy and it makes me happy. I pay attention to these things when she doesn't notice me doing it and I smile to myself.

That is a precious gift that she gives to me. Every day.

I have a special relationship with Maka. It comes naturally to me because I am a love giver and animals respond to love.

She follows me around the house like a puppy dog. We have conversations. She responds to me, I respond to her.

She stares into my eyes when she is in my lap and it melts me.

Lately she has gotten into the habit of demanding a hug before I go to bed. Just started in the last few months.

I always go to bed before Carol. Get up, go into the kitchen, put cold water in Maka's bowl, give her a snack.

Come back into the living room and kiss Carol good night. Lately Maka circles around and through my legs until I pick her up. I hold her and hug her so close and she stays for minutes.

She knows it's time for bed, therefore it is time for a hug.

It is so precious. It makes me so happy and is good for my heart. Sometimes it brings tears to my eyes.

No small gift.

We settle down at night. Maka is in my lap, stretched out in luxurious comfort. Carol is on the couch, crocheting or playing a game on her tablet. TV is on. A warm, content and loving scene.

My tiny daily world is indeed small.

But I have Carol and Maka to feed my heart.

I could not be luckier.

No comments:

Post a Comment