Sunday, May 9, 2021

Julian Edelman

I seek toughness.

Toughness of mind, toughness of spirit, toughness of soul, toughness of body.

I want to be able to knock you out with one punch.

I am going about cultivating this in various ways, ranging from creative sensitivity to semi-tough love. Which reminds me of the movie Semi-Tough. It's got Kris Kristofferson and Burt Reynolds in it. How can you go wrong? You should watch it. It's funny and it's about football. Tasty. The book is damn good too.

James Clear is on the tough love side in that he challenges me to be better and gives sound advice on how to do that in a realistic way. I have adopted Matthew McConaughey on a more consistent basis. I read his book, now I listen to his 13 Truths video quite a bit.

Why not add Julian Edelman to the mix?

When I heard that Julian retired I was kind of bummed.

Julian Edelman was a real football player.

Tough, insane, talented. He was only 5'10" and weighed 198 pounds. He played 12 seasons with THE PATS.

He was a quarterback in college, got drafted as the 27th pick in the seventh round, 232nd overall, in the 2009 NFL draft. Let me put that in perspective for you - I got drafted 27th in the seventh round of this year's draft. I turned down the offer because I already enjoy a lucrative job with the city of Concord.

When he got to the NFL he switched to being a punt returner and wide receiver and went on to dominate like a man twice his size.

The man exuded toughness and insanity on and off the field. It is just in his DNA. Just look into his eyes and all you see is One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. 

He was constantly cutting across the middle to make a play, which is the toughest place for a receiver to work. It's like deliberately running into the path of a freight train. And he did it with aplomb.

I loved to watch him play.

He didn't take shit from anybody. He was always bouncing up from a crushing hit to talk shit - facemask to facemask - with the guy who hit him. Or after a great catch or run or block or punt return - always talking trash - always.

Because he was supremely confident.

NFL films should put together a collection of the things he said on the field and make a feature length film out of it. I wouldn't just watch it I would buy it so I could watch it forever. And be endlessly inspired.

I just became aware that he wrote a memoir in 2018 titled Relentless. I just ordered the book. It can do nothing but help me on my quest.

Bill Belichick: "What Julian has done from the time he entered the league is nothing short of remarkable. He is the epitome of competiveness, toughness, and the great things that are possible when someone is determined to achieve their goals."

I take the man at his word.

I am supremely set up to enjoy football like a psycho fan this year. Last year I watched it in a coma because of all this covid shit. Shit, there were Mondays and Thursdays when I completely forgot THE PATS were even playing.

That is not like me.

But I feel the need bubbling and gurgling deep down inside me in 2021. I need football this year. I am going to go crazy on it. If you get between me and football this year you will be decapitated.

But I will miss Julian Edelman. Severely.

It will not be the same without him playing psycho-football and talking trash.

I have loved football for 57 years and there have been a lot of guys I loved, guys who got under my skin, gave me great pleasure then disappeared from my life.

Julian is definitely on my list.

Thanks for the memories, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment