Sunday, May 9, 2021

The Twilight Zone (On More Than One Level)

 "There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call.........The Twilight Zone."

An unmistakable intro that brings back instantaneous memories. Sort of.

The Twilight Zone ran from 1959 to 1964 and was spectacular. Lately I have been watching it on Netflix. Anytime I have a spare half hour available, The Twilight Zone is one of my go to's. Love it.

But I am trying to figure out where my exposure to the show comes from. I was 5 years old in 1959, 10 years old in 1964. The first three seasons aired on Friday nights at 10:00. The fourth season aired on Thursday nights at 9:00. The final season aired on Friday nights at 9:30.

It had to be a show that my father watched. It was definitely something he would be into. No way I watched the first three seasons - I was just a wee lad. But maybe Season 4 and Season 5 but still, it's hard to imagine me being up that late at that age. My parents were pretty strict. And my mom would probably not have approved of me watching The Twilight Zone.

I have no memory of watching it with my Dad.

I have these cloudy "sort of" memories that are thinly connected with my Dad that I just don't understand. 

Like Jim Brown and the NFL. It is unmistakable that I fell in love with the man and football, but he played from 1957 to 1965. Ages 3 to 11 for me.

I am sure my Dad had football on and I am sure I started watching it with him at some point, obviously. I have dim memories of watching football together. But I don't remember it being a "rah rah I'm watching football with my Dad" kind of thing. It just feels like I developed a love of the game on my own.

These cloudy memories disturb me. I don't really know what kind of relationship I had with my Dad when I was really young. Seems to me if our times together were exciting and fun and love-filled they would burn bright in my memory banks.

But they don't.

Anyway, someway, somehow I got into The Twilight Zone. It's a gas watching it now. The stories are always good, although the settings are occasionally hilarious. Like when they tried to imagine and depict what the future would look like - especially involving computers and space ships.

I watch it now, I still dig it now, but sometimes I drift off and wonder what it was like watching it with my Dad.

I wish I could remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment