Friday, May 28, 2021

Sacred Deer

I was furious and suffocating on the way to work yesterday morning.

Wednesday had been a supremely shitty day and here I was voluntarily returning to the scene of the crime.

And the definition of insanity is.........................

On the road at 6:30 a.m. in a complete stupor.

Route 202 is essentially a solid wall of trees. Very pretty. It is broken up in places by small clearings in the woods.

I saw a small clearing coming up on my left and thought to myself "I would love to glance over there and see a deer."

I was desperate for any type of inspiration or positive sign or harbinger of hope. Something to blast me out of my funk and into a place of possibility. That's all I want. Give me some fucking possibility.

When I got up to the clearing I glanced to my left and saw a deer standing there in pure serenity. Looking sideways directly at the road.

I was ecstatic.

Do I believe that an Interventionist Deer Deity arranged for an acolyte to be standing in that precise spot in that precise moment for the sole purpose of reviving my soul?

No.

But the odds are greatly against my wish colliding with reality so perfectly.

And that was good enough for me.

I said "Holy shit" out loud, I laughed, and I felt better. Feeling better is huge when death seems preferable to corporate servitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment