Saturday, September 4, 2021

All Stones All The Time

I have been listening to The Stones non-stop since Charlie Watts died.

I am meticulous about how I set up my sound system in my car. Side to side, front to back, bass, midrange and treble. I will spend some time getting it right. Recently I re-arranged it and the result was that the sound was in my face - in a good way - and I had to turn the volume down a bit from the level I usually employ.

BUT, since I have been listening to The Stones I have been cranking it and it feels so right.

Editor's Note - The Stones released the album Let It Bleed in 1969. Either in the liner notes or on the label of the record is the advice: "This Record Should Be Played Loud."

"So if you're down on your luck and you can't harmonize, find a girl with far away eyes. And if you're downright disgusted, and life ain't worth a dime, get a girl with far away eyes."

The song is called Far Away Eyes and it is a quirky, funky song.  The lyrics take some shots at preachers on gospel radio from back in the day. Funny stuff. A wistful song too. You should check it out.

When I tended bar at the Legion I used to sing this song with another guy when it popped up on the jukebox. This guy was a genuine tough guy, straight from Scotland or Ireland, complete with accent. We had zero in common. But when this song came on we stood side by side and belted it out.

Waiting On A Friend. One of my favorite Stones songs. This may surprise you because it is a delicate song but I love the lyrics and how the tone of the music suits the lyrics perfectly. Just a guy going out to meet up with a friend. "I'm not waiting on a lady, I'm just waiting on a friend." 

I love the video. Shows Mick and Keith making their way to a little corner bar. Ronnie, Charlie and Bill Wyman (bass player until1992) are already in the bar. They hang at the bar for a minute or two, then make their way to the small stage set up in the back.

This is not so far fetched. Before every tour back in the day, The Stones would make an unannounced visit to a small bar, just to get their juices flowing. 

I met a guy who witnessed this in a bar in New York city. He was getting up to leave and the bartender told him he could not. Said the doors were locked - no one else was coming in, nobody was leaving. The guy asked what the fuck was going on? The bartender said you'll see.

Minutes later The Stones came from out back and onto the stage. This guy told me it was one of the best moments of his life.

I believe him.

Sympathy For The Devil. One of my favorites of the favorites. An evil little ditty with a menacing mood to it. I know every word, I can air guitar every lick perfectly.

One time at the Legion, I was quite drunk when Sympathy came on the jukebox. I climbed up on a table and sang along and played killer air guitar. Mercifully (for me and my audience), my friends coaxed me down before the song ended. I made a real ass of myself but, you know what? It felt oh so good.

I have seen The Stones live twice, and thank god for that. The Steel Wheels Tour in 1989; The Voodoo Lounge Tour in 1994.

Our seats were a million miles away in a giant stadium and we had to watch the video screen to get any close-ups, BUT it was the fucking Rolling Stones, man. The sound was great, the vibe was right - each concert was a moment in time.

Beautiful, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment