Tuesday, September 7, 2021

The Wild Bunch

Feeling thoughtful today.

I am enjoying Day Four of five days off.

Strange week coming up. Carol is leaving on Thursday for a few days of Madness-Insanity-and Debauchery with her aunt, her sister, her cousin, and her sister-in-law at The Beach.

I will roll out of bed at 5:15 on Thursday morning (my favorite thing to do). When I get home on Thursday night it will be me and Maka. Got Thursday night, Friday night, and all day Saturday to myself.

In the old days I would have set up a couple of nights out for myself and tried to not get arrested. That thought process is no longer relative.

I am looking for peacefulness this week.

I will miss Carol a lot - an empty bed will be strange. Married 43 years and rarely apart.

Thursday night kicks off my short term bachelorhood in style - first game of the 2021 NFL season. For the rest of the deal I will probably write a lot, watch movies, watch sports, READ, eat frozen Boston Market meals - (why the fuck should I cook - I feel compelled to maximize my parole time).

Thursday and Friday will be tough emotionally for me because Maka is not feeling well and is not used to being alone. She is 18 years old and has required special care lately. But I will shower her with love when I get home and our relationship will save us both.

Carol and I have been married for 43 years and are in the detente portion of our relationship. Kind of like the U.S. military working with the taliban. She drives me nuts, I drive her nuts, but we have found a middle ground that is a pretty nice space. That's how long term marriage works.

My point is that I am not looking for insanity, I am not pleased that Carol will not be around. I am merely looking forward to a change of atmosphere.

Strangely enough I am considering buying myself a special bottle of whiskey on Thursday. Michter's. I recently discovered it and it is delicious. Not really sure why I want to do that. No, I am not going to get drunk. It just feels like if I am going to pamper myself doing what I want to do when I want to do it, it seems like a special beverage will be a perfect complement, an enjoyable indulgence.

So there you have it. A few days of different - nothing more, nothing less.

Good for Carol and The Wild Bunch. Good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment