Saturday, September 17, 2022

I Forgot to Tell You About The U.S. Open and You Need to Know

I saw the most spectacular tennis I have witnessed in over 150 years.

Point after point, game after game, set after set, match after match.

Men and women - didn't matter. They all kicked ass. They were all virtuosos.

Carlos Alcarez beat Jannik Sinnik in the men's Quarterfinal in a five set match that lasted 5 hours and ended at 2:50 am in NYC. I sat mesmerized watching these two guys through three sets - then staggered into bed. I knew I was missing something legendary, but I'm pretty - adequate sleep keeps me that way.

Fucking amazing match.

Karen Kachanov (man) and Casper Ruud played a 55 shot point in the men's Semifinal. Fifty five shots. To win one point. Are you fucking kidding me? Absolutely spectacular.

Carlos Alcarez went on to win the title - he's 19 years old. He played three five-set matches to get there - against Marin Cilic, Jannik Sinner, Frances Tiafoe. One 5-set match would spirit me to the grave.

On the women's side - Iga Swiatek is the undisputed women's champ. This woman kicks ass. She won the title. Along the way she played Jessica Pegula - ranked #5 in the world, who made it to the Quarterfinals; Aryna Sabalenka - ranked #7 in the world, who made it to the Semifinals; and Ons Jabeur - ranked #2 in the world, who faced Swiatek in the Final. All of these women are spectacular. The tennis tasted like chocolate.

You probably don't recognize most of the names I just mentioned; no problem - I didn't either until I indulged my tennis addiction, beginning with the French Open. If you love tennis, get familiar - these people are the future of the sport. If you love me, send me money; I am impoverished.

My addiction kicked in at the right time - I am witnessing the changing of the guard. Nadal, Djokovic - getting older. Federer just retired. The young-uns are excelling, and providing enough excitement to make a miserable life worthwhile. I am happy to be discovering them, getting to know them - I'll be watching them for the next 20 years.

And the best part is that by then I won't remember a goddamn thing. So my sons can keep me eternally entertained watching the same match over and over in replay.

Monday - "Dad - you wanna watch Alcarez and Ruud?"

Wednesday - "Dad - you wanna watch Alcarez and Ruud?"

Saturday - "Dad - you wanna watch Alcarez and Ruud?"

Me every time - "Wow - can you believe how many great tennis players there are these days? Fucking amazing."

My life will be simpler then.

No comments:

Post a Comment