Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Can't You Hear Them Laughing?

So I'm driving into Concord this morning for the 700 millionth time, and I'm listening to Keyshawn, JWill and Max on ESPN radio.

I don't listen to a lot of sports talk radio, but at this point in the NFL season I like to hear what the "experts" are saying about the playoffs.

I have maintained previously in here that Keyshawn is terrible as an analyst. Got more confirmation this morning.

The man spews a lot of words, he projects a lot of attitude, but he says nothing. And he refuses to take a position. I sense that his partners are well aware of this and try to paint him into corners - force him to take a position. But he slimes his way out of it.

Part of this is an athlete's natural inclination to avoid having words and opinions shoved down their throats. I get that. But it goes a lot deeper with Keyshawn.

Apparently there are football fans out there who believe Keyshawn has a "zero football IQ." I get that feeling myself.

I was thinking about that this morning, wondering how the hell you play 11 seasons in the NFL and walk away with a zero football IQ.

Then I thought about myself as an accountant. I worked as an accountant off and on for around 25 years. I have a zero accounting IQ. I faked it so fucking much it is a miracle I survived. That is a commentary on corporate america as much as it is a commentary on me. I'm not sure I could get away with the same hustle today.

I got an accounting degree, I worked a bunch of accounting jobs, but my knowledge was the bare minimum. I could put together financial statements, I could speak the lingo, but I really did not know what I was doing.

My natural charisma, and facility with the English language (translated as my excellence at bullshitting) is what got me through.

So how can I criticize Keyshawn? I can't. I am no different than he is.

And maybe I am wrong about him. Maybe he is just a terrible communicator. Who the hell knows.

You gotta be careful when you laugh at other people.

Because a lot of people are laughing at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment