Friday, January 20, 2023

David Crosby

 "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a ride!"

Hunter S. Thompson


This is how David Crosby lived his life.

He spent 9 months in a Texas state prison for drug and weapons offenses in 1985. He had a liver transplant in 1994. He was an alcoholic and a drug addict. He had Type-2 diabetes. He had a cardiac catheterization in 2014. He was arrested for drunken driving, a hit and run accident, and possession of a concealed pistol and drug paraphenalia, also in 1985. He broke his left leg and ankle and left shoulder in a motorcycle accident in 1990. Melissa Etheridge and her partner had two kids as a result of sperm donation by Crosby. He had a son in 1962 - James Raymond - who Crosby put up for adoption. They reunited in the nineties - his son was a musician - and they recorded together and toured together.

He also had the most exquisite singing voice you're ever going to hear.

I heard about his death last night on an MSNBC news show. They did the tease - we lost a rock icon today - and just before going to commercial put up a picture of David Crosby. Involuntarily and very emotionally I blurted out "Oh no!"

All of the people I love are dying. That's where I am in life. I don't know why I am surprised every time I hear the news. Except for the emotional connection. I don't want any of them ever to die. And when they do, it brings to the surface the feelings I have for them and the feelings they inspired in me.

One of my favorite albums is Wind On The Water - 1975 - David Crosby and Graham Nash. These two sang so beautifully together. There is a song titled To The Last Whale (Critical Mass). Absolutely gorgeous; shows you where their hearts were.

One of my favorite songs is Southern Cross by Crosby, Stills & Nash. Crosby loved to sail - it was his peace. Gorgeous song, great lyrics. "When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you understand now why you came this way, 'cause the truth you might be running from is so small, but it's as big as the promise, the promise of a coming day."

One of my favorite moments was buying Crosby, Stills & Nash - 1969 - their debut album. Loved the album cover picture - the three of them sitting on the couch in front of the house under the window. I used to just prop the album cover up as I listened to the music - the picture exuded cool. The goddamn album included Marrakesh Express, Guinnevere (gorgeous), Long Time Gone, Wooden Ships, and Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. Are you fucking kidding me?

David Crosby brought so much beauty into the world. Can you ever get enough beauty? He was a wild man with a sensitive soul. The perfect combination.

He was brutally outspoken. He spoke his mind, baby. He was unafraid. He had balls.

I saw a clip from a recent interview with him. He said he was grateful to have come out the other side of his self-destructive self. It made him appreciate life and love and family all the more.

There are no other David Crosby's to be born. He was the one, the only.

David Crosby died. But he lived a life. He gave us so much beauty. He gave us truth. He gave us himself, unvarnished and direct.

We shouldn't mourn him. He did with his life what all of us wish we could do.

But I will mourn him. My heart is broken.

Requiescat in pace, David Crosby. I love you.

And thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment