Tuesday, July 24, 2012

If Jesus Preached Football

If Jesus preached football he would own me.
Went to Patriots Place yesterday for the first time. As we walked from the parking lot towards the facility I stared up at Gillette Stadium looming before us. I was in awe.
Being old and complacent I have settled for watching football on TV in my recliner with a cold one in my hand and a bathroom close by. I do not like crowds, I do not like hassles, I do not like inconvenience.
Gillette spangled my nerves and got me thinking about siting in those stands. I am hungry to do that now.
Couldn't get near the field but we stood at the gates. I had my hands on the bars like a prisoner and stared through them at the twenty yards of field that I could see. We were standing right under one of those catwalks that the standing room only crowd populates.
I was visualizing a game and imagining a fanatically roaring crowd.
Inject it into my veins, baby.
Strolled into Patriots Place and watched a movie of PATS history that worked it's way up through the tough years and stopped short of the last two Super Bowl appearances. As the movie ended I said "I'm glad they didn't show any of that Giants crap." Got a few laughs.
Then we did the deal. I always think I'm too cool for touristy stuff so I never participate.
I am an ass.
Yesterday I decided to dive in and do it all and I had a blast.
It's a three story experience and there is all kinds of memorabilia and interactive videos and stuff to look at and listen to and play with. You are literally immersed in Patriots. There are huge projections on the wall that change, there is all kinds of sounds and commentary.
But it is not overwhelming or confusing.
I stuck my finger in an imitation Super Bowl ring perched on a Richard Seymour likeness, I came off the line and hit Tedy Bruschi a solid one (after being called offsides on the first attempt). I kicked three field goals, two of which sucked, but the last one was a definite Super Bowl game winner. I huddled with PATS players and overrode Brady's call, I sat on the bench with a couple and had a conversation. I had my picture taken in a Duck Boat and created my own video explaining that I owed my PATS fanaticism to my son Keith who forced me to watch THE PATS when they sucked.
I wore  a real PATS helmet, which weighs a ton. I put my feet in the footprints of players, making me look like a child by way of comparison.
Carol did all this as well, we took a lot of pictures and we had a blast.
My favorite picture is of me standing in the middle of THE PATS THREE SUPER BOWL TROPHIES. It was a religious experience.
You start on the third floor and work your way down to the first, where the memorabilia store is located. Next time I am bringing $436,788 to purchase PATS gear. I was drooling.
We ate outside in a restaurant facing Gillette Stadium. I kept glancing over and picturing myself in the stands.
Had a cool conversation with one of the guides, up on the third floor. This guy is 90 years old. What a blast. He gets two tickets to every PATS game and has all three genuine Super Bowl rings, one of which he was wearing. XXXVI.
He let me wear his ring.
It is huge and it weighs a ton and I wore a genuine PATS Super Bowl ring. Words cannot express.
A great, fun day, another great summer of 2012 experience.
We went with Paula and Bill, which is always a joy. They are fun people and PATS fanatics. Bill wears magic glasses and Paula has infinite patience.
I will go back. I have to.
Just as soon as I save up $436,788.

1 comment:

  1. Joe..what a thrill it must have been to have your picture taken with the 5 Super Bowl Trophies...I mean 3 ... Sorry Giant mistake on my part. GO BIG BLUE!!!

    ReplyDelete