Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Didn't You


Condescension blinded you to my transformation and arrogance made you vulnerable.
You thought I would quit.

Mistaking the body blows I took for softness opened you to vengeance.
You didn’t know me at all.

Slowly I suffered and evolved; an inexorable process that made me hard.
Your lies and laughter and manipulation continued as
I got smaller and tighter and dangerous.

Fear and contempt, incubating inside me, acted as catalysts to audacity.

When the moment was right I looked directly into your dilated eyes as we switched roles.
It felt good to hurt you.

May you never recover as I continue on to savor a serene destiny richly deserved, and painfully earned.
You thought I would quit, didn’t you?

1 comment:

  1. wow, joe..hit thenail on the head for me...thanks!

    ReplyDelete