Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Vin et Fromage

I am surrounded by rock 'n roll, baby. I am looking at a postcard sized photo of Elvis in black leather, sweating and snarling as pretty women look up at him in awe.
Got lots of other pictures, album covers and memorabilia, all rock related.
I have one inconspicuous picture hanging on the wall just inside the door, of a restaurant on a funky street in France.
On the wall above the awning it says Monmartre and Cabaret underneath that. The name of the restaurant is cut off; under the restaurant it lists Vin. Fromage. Wine and cheese for those who flunked seventh grade French.
I love this picture. I love the longing it inspires in me.
There are tables and chairs outside on the sidewalk. I want to sit at one of those tables and sip fine French wine, nibble on strong cheese and watch and listen to colorful people as they walk, talk and gesticulate past my seat.
I have nooks and crannies in my personality. We all do. Things that are there that others would not suspect.
I would love to visit Europe. Italy especially. Absorb the culture and flaunt my last name to full effect.
I started studying Italian almost nine years ago and it came to me easily. Felt natural. I love the language, I think it is lyrical, beautiful, and expressive. I am pure emotion, and as volatile as I can be I think the Italian language would allow me to express myself even closer to the heart.
A woman I worked with at the time had lived in Italy for six years. I practiced with her and she continuously complimented me on the pronunciation and how quickly I learned.
Unfortunately I only lasted six months. Other stuff got in the way. Other very important stuff that I cannot even remember today.
I still plan on learning the language. Especially now that my brain is atrophying and I need all the intellectual stimulation I can get.
Germany. England. Greece. Sweden. Spain. Portugal. Ireland.
I would love to experience them all, immerse myself in the culture and make some international friends.
Let the ancient beauty and history soak into my soul and change me in some imperceptible way.
I have never been to Europe. The way things are going I may never make it. Right now I am budgeting for new underwear. I think in six months I'll be able to afford a three pack. That will be quite an extravagance and a big day of celebration.
So in addition to all the places I want to experience right here in the good ole USA, Arizona being Numero Uno on the list, I have all of Europe to conquer.
And Japan. And Australia. And..................
After learning Italian, I'd like to learn to speak Spanish. I love that language as well. I could learn a couple of expressive words to wrap around the word puta to form some common and potentially offensive phrases.
I might have to settle for speaking a foreign language or two to minimally sooth my soul's taste for revered and ancient culture.
Sometimes you gotta take what you can get.
I can walk into this room a hundred times and not pay any attention to the picture of the restaurant on the funky French side street.
And then there are times like these when it is all I can see.
It is bittersweet, creating a mood of intrigue and romance while simultaneously reminding me of how little I have travelled, how much world is out there to nourish me.
In closing I would just like to say:
Arrivederci alla prossima.

No comments:

Post a Comment