Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Absolute Contentment

I woke up gently today. 5:45. Before the alarm went off.

As I floated towards consciousness I became aware of a situation that made me wish today could be every day for the rest of my life.

I hadn't opened my eyes yet but I became aware that one of the cats was sleeping close to me. I sleep on my side, she was stretched out along the length of my chest. Her head was right up underneath my chin.

I could hear her breathing. Contentedly and sound asleep. At one point she stretched out one of her legs and her paw rested on my arm. She continued sleeping in peace.

When I opened my eyes I saw it was Maka.

When I opened my eyes I saw Lakota lying on the floor next to the glass sliders with her head resting on a piece of wood that is settled there. Her eyes were half open as she struggled against sleep while trying to monitor what was going on in the yard.

Birds were chirping.

Carol was breathing rhythmically next to me and I tried to will the alarm to malfunction because I knew when it jarred her awake her peace would be broken.

I was unsuccessful and responsibility intruded.

But for those 15 minutes our bedroom and my life existed in pure peace. Absolute contentment.

That, my friends, was a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment