Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Happy Christmas

So I'm driving home digging on Mariah last night and ruminating on this whole Christmas bag.

By the way, Mariah drives me crazy. Girl keeps on stalking me. She called me up and told me how impressed she was with me. She heard I was Assistant Manager of a New Hampshire State Liquor Store. Figures I got a lot of coin. Figures I got a lot of responsibility. Figures I'm going somewhere.

She wants to party with me on New Year's Eve. Tells me she has been invited to Jay-Z and Beyonce's Italian villa. Wants me to join her. Tells me George Clooney will be dropping by.

I told her, first of all, I am married. Spending New Year's Eve with the only woman who has ever loved me for over 35 years. Off and on.

Besides, I explained, I am working on New Year's Eve day from 7:00 in the morning until 7:30 at night. The NH State Liquor commission, in it's infinite wisdom, has decided the store should be open from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on 12/31/13.

Greedy, vicious, inconsiderate, stupid bastards. What about employees who want to celebrate New Year's Eve JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE WORLD?

This is why I don't put it past these cretins to decree all stores open on Christmas day in the future.

Anyway, Mariah backed off on the Italy thing but was even more impressed about my work ethic. Said she would call me around Valentine's Day.

I hope Carol answers the phone.

"Christ the savior is born." from "Silent Night."

"Oh Holy night, the stars are brightly shining, it is the night of the dear Savior's birth. Long lay the world, in sin and error pining, 'till he appeared and the soul felt its worth. A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices, for yonder breaks a new and glorious morn."     "O Holy Night"

I was thinking how amazing, how unbelievably tasty it would be to know that Jesus Christ was born on December 25, 2013. Imagine if he was actually born today and everybody in the world knew it. Everybody knew the human race would be saved, everybody knew that war would end, that we tiny brained humans would learn to live together in peace and love and forgiveness and understanding.

That would be a special Christmas.

Imagine how you would feel to know that you could live your life in peace. And safety. In a world where juvenile gunmen do not slaughter innocent children. Where  a redneck with a concealed weapon can sit next to a black man in a bar and not have a an overwhelming urge to shoot him in the face. Where religions co-exist instead of slaughtering one another and taking innocent lives in towers to make warped statements.

Those words in those songs and many others like them express a longing so deep in the human psyche that we have to deny its existence.

Lest we appear weak.

Gotta suck it up, don't you know.

I lost myself in imagining, I allowed myself to believe that our dear Savior had truly been born, that it was undeniably true and that he would save us with beauty and love and grace and wisdom and inspiration.

It felt very good.

Of course my next thought was that it would probably be at least twenty years before he could accomplish anything and by then I would be 80 years old, for Christ sake. I thought he better be good.

And if he held off until his thirties I was doomed because 90 looks pretty unlikely for a lost soul like me.

Anyway I was thinking that we really do need a Jesus  event. A birth. An all encompassing miracle to give hope to and provide results for the entire world.

We are so far gone that a star flashing miracle is our only hope.

Anyway, short of a miracle birth, I hope your Christmas is at least peaceful and comforting. I hope you smile genuinely, I hope you laugh from your heart.

I know I will. With my family a spectacular Christmas is a given.

Happy Christmas to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment