Thursday, March 5, 2015

Vince Again

Vince Wilfork is leaving THE PATS.

I don't know how I feel about this.

I mean it does affect me on an emotional level becaus he seems like a cool guy, he's been around for a long time, got two rings, and apparently he's a beast on the defensive line.

I don't know enough about his position to really understand what he meant to the team but I intuit that he was enormously important.

Professional sports is a cold hearted business. It doesn't pay to get attached to an athlete because he will be traded at some point or finish his career on another team.

If it happened to Joe Montana and Joe Namath it will happen to anyone.

That's not why I am here today.

Driving home listening to 98.5 and the sports guys are ragging on Wilfork's published comments about how much he loved playing for this team.

I haven't read his statement yet because I am on my laptop and it is too hard to swip and swap around - this thing is a dinosaur (but I love it). But apparently his comments were pretty heartfelt.

These guys were ragging on Wilfork and the organization because it all seemed so sappy.

And yet a couple of weeks ago there was a lineup change on this very station. I am not tuned in to the details because I haven't been listening long enough, but one of the talk "teams" was splitting up. One guy was going to another job - same station, maybe not - I wasn't paying attention.

They made a huge deal out of it. Reminiscing, joking, laughing, talking, speaking fondly of their time together. After a break they came back and said that things had gotten emotional while they were off the air.

These guys talk tough, act tough, you know, the whole locker room mentality - nothing is sacred, no softness allowed.

My theory has always been that sports talk guys overcompenate for the fact that they are not athletes. They know what they do is nowhere near as cool as being a pro athlete so they project toughness in an attempt to be taken seriously.

I have no problem with this. These guys know more about sports than I ever will about anything. And they make me laugh. And I learn stuff.

I just have a problem with the disingenuousness of laughing at Wilfork's comments and mocking THE PATS organization - saying this is what Kraft promotes - sappy comments from his players - while they themselves get all teary eyed and sentimental because one of the team is moving on to another opportunity.

I don't have a problem with strong emotions connected with sports. I think it is a good thing. It makes it all more real.

These guys are larger than life. They are so far removed from us wee folk; genuine emotion bridges the gap somewhat.

The 98.5 guys played comments Kraft made when they signed Aaron Hernandez. Talking about how Hernandez donated $50,000 to the Myra Kraft fund. Kraft said a lot of emotional things about Hernandez. Hernandez said a lot of great things about Kraft and THE PATS.

Then of course he went on to become a crack smoking murderer.

The talk dudes tried to make the point that this is what THE PATS do. That the emotions are on display as PR.

I thought that was a low blow (but it was kind of funny listening to Kraft and Hernanadez play kissy face).

Anyway, Wilfork is moving on. I will mis him as a staple of THE PATS' D. As the belly jiggling big man - very large indeed - who was considered to be a major athlete.

The 98.5 guys should cut him some slack.

He showed emotion just as they did.

And I would be willing to bet that Wilfork's commitment and the sacrifice he has made is infinitely greater than anything these guys will ever do.

No comments:

Post a Comment