Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Diggin' On Sinatra

Came a cross a real deal a few weeks ago at the local market days event.

A steal, really.

Market Days is the typical small town out on the streets diggin' summer stroll fest that is one of life's little pleasures.

Carol and I go every year. Check out the funky clothes stands, cool jewelry (I am the King of Cheap Jewelry), listen to music, look at people, look at dogs (lots of dogs), maybe scarf some food.

Grab a beer if the beer tent is not too crowded, which it was this year so no beer for me.

Which is OK 'cause I still gotta lose 20 pounds so I can squeeze into that skimpy little bikini taunting me in the closet.

?

There is a cool independent movie theatre in town called Red River Theatres. They were selling movie posters, DVD's and CD's on the cheap.

Carol and I got in on the ground floor with this cinema. We were there for the ribbon cutting ceremony and we were there for the first showing.

Red River. 1948. Starring John Wayne, Montgomery Clift and Walter Brennan.

Very cool and comfortable place. They serve beer and wine, the seats are ultra comfortable, they only have two real screens and one semi-screen. No big ass movies. Just independent and quirky stuff.

How the hell can you go wrong? It is small and it is personal. Important considerations in this 2,000 options for everything , moving fast and loud world.

Anyway.................I strolled in fully expecting to leave with a poster or two. Something ultra cool that I could decorate this room with.

Not to be. As many as they had to offer, nothing stirred me to life.

So we browsed CD's. Every CD was $2.

I came across a Sinatra retrospective from the Reprise years. 4 cd's. $8.

I have been exploring the man's music and diggin' the surprises. I cannot call myself a fan - not yet - I only know the songs you are supposed to know.

However I keep coming across nuggets I have never heard before that soothe me. Or swing me. Or surprise me. Or all of that at once.

I understand why women lost their minds over the man. He could croon.

It almost makes me want to endure a sex change operation so I can experience the full effect.

But I can't afford to replace my wardrobe in its entirety so I guess I'll pass.

81 songs. So many about love.

I was thinking about the hypocrisy of it all. Sounding so sincere singing to the ladies about love when in reality all he probably wanted to do was get in their pants.

This is not an indictment of Sinatra at all. It applies to every singer, every poet, every novelist, every artistic expression of love. It is a general comment about the complicated nature of love songs. And love poems. And love stories.

Just plain love.

And I could be wrong. Maybe the man was pining away to be loved.

Who am I to judge?

Love is all there is.

You have no career, you have no freedom, you have no fulfillment, your dream is unreachable and maybe unrealistic. If you even have one. Maybe you had one and it was beaten out of you.

All we really want is to love and be loved.

In purity and sweet release.

If Sinatra gets you there than consider yourself lucky.

Some songs bring a smile to my face, a couple have made me laugh.

Check out The Coffee Song.If you are not amused you are probably dead.

Some songs stir deep emotion in me.

I am discovering Sinatra.

Diggin' every minute of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment