Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Arugula

What does it mean when you wake up with arugula on your mind?

Not the vegetable; the word.

I don't know a goddamn thing about arugula. Don't know what it looks like, don't know what it tastes like.

Or kale. I don't know anything about kale nor do I wish to.

Unless it is J.J. Cale or Cale Yarborough.

I literally woke up at 5:30 in the am this morning with the word arugula on my mind.

Keith Richards wakes up with the riff to "Satisfaction" on his mind and ends up living in mega-comfort in Connecticut.

I get arugula.

Editor's note: I just figured out how to delete stuff on my chromebook. I googled it. There is no delete button on a chromebook. Who makes a laptop with no delete button? Chromebook does. alt-backspace for one letter. ctrl-alt-backspace for one word. All this time I have been backspacing. My life is slipping away from me.

Arugula is one of the nutritious green-leafy vegetables of Mediterranean origin. I just looked it up. It actually has a nickname.

Garden rocket.

That is a pretty macho nickname for a green-leafy vegetable.

Health facts: 100 g of fresh leaves hold 25 calories and still it is rich in "vital phytochemicals, anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals that may immensely benefit health."

In other words, if you eat four pounds of arugula every day you might extend your life 145 seconds.

Kind of like resveratrol in red wine. Promotes health if you drink nine bottles a day. There is irony in there somewhere, no?

I just looked up resveratrol (does anyone say "looked up" anymore? Does it always have to be googled? Is there a rule?).

The blurb takes the typical cautious approach that red wine may promote heart health IN MODERATION; no more than a couple of glasses a day.

It then goes on to demonize alcohol: "Drinking too much alcohol increases  your risk of high blood pressure, high triglycerides, liver damage, obesity, certain types of cancer, accidents and other problems."

Accidents? I love it. Fear. We use fear today to make whatever point we are trying to make. Let's throw accidents in there to broaden the spectrum of the terrible things that can happen to you when you consume demon alcohol.

Anyway..................I hope I wake up tomorrow with something more useful on my mind than arugula.

Something I can make money off of.

A poem. A song. A story.

I'll keep you posted.

I'm hungry. Think I'll whip up a bowl of cereal.

With arugula on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment