Saturday, January 8, 2022

What's In A Name

Football players tend to have majestic and beautiful names.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson. JuJu Smith-Schuster. Equanimeous St. Brown.

These names make Joe Testa feel like an afterthought. Shit, he survived? I guess we gotta name him.

A bit of poetic license there. I am proud of my name. I am named after my grandfather - Giuseppe Testa, who was born in Isernia, Italy in 1890. I have enormous respect for what he overcame and what he accomplished after he emigrated to America. What I loved best about him was his sense of humor.

Such an amazing thing that he could move to this country alone - learn a new language - become established - send for his wife and two kids to join him - and ultimately raise a family of four kids and succeed financially - and still maintain a sense of humor.

He was hilarious.

But I digress.

My new favorite football name is Divine Deablo. Are you kidding me? Of course it would be much better if his last name was spelled Diablo, but, still - his parents knew what they were doing.

Divine Deablo is a linebacker for the Las Vegas Raiders. 6'3", 226 pounds.

If I was a running back and I saw Divine Deablo coming at me full-speed, I wouldn't know what the hell to do. 

Who would I pray to?


No comments:

Post a Comment