Saturday, January 8, 2022

Yesterday (and the Day Before)

Today is Saturday.

Yesterday was Friday. Day before - Thursday.

I did not have to get up at 5:30 am on Thursday and Friday, and never will again.

This makes a HUGE difference in my life.

I HATED those days. I am not a morning person. Plus, I am 68 years old and should be retired. If I have to fucking work, I do not want to drag my ass out of bed before the sun rises.

The schedule of my life has completely flipped. The earliest I ever have to be in to work is 11:30 am. When I work shows, I typically have to show up at 7:00 pm, and finish up at 9:30 pm.

I am a night person. I love nights because they are devious. Evil happens at night. Darkness implies abandon. If you drink during the day, you are branded as a week-willed misfit. Drinking at night is condoned. Drink at night - you are welcomed with open arms into the innermost circles of impolite society.

I feel safer at night.

During the day I feel compelled to at least feign responsibility. To pretend that I am a functioning member of society who actively seeks out the lowest possible mortgage rate.

At night it's all hookers and cocaine.

The new job was the right move for many, many reasons.

Not the least of which is the opportunity to sleep late seven days a week.

Yeah, baby.

(Editor's note: With apologies to Cori - my awesome sister-in-law - who has to get up at 4 am. Then again, she is a whole lot tougher than I will ever be. Love you, Cori.)

No comments:

Post a Comment