Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Old Man Hands

I was reading yesterday morning.

I put the book down, took a sip of coffee, rested my arm on the arm of the recliner, and took in the magnificent quiet.

I do this often.

I made the mistake of looking at the back of my hand. It looks like an old man's hand.

It's wrinkled.

This disturbed me greatly. Now I can't stop looking at it.

It didn't happen overnight. Maybe I never noticed it because I did not want to notice it.

Keith paid me and Carol an amazing compliment recently when I was whining about being old. He said "You and Mom do not present as old." A spectacular thing to say. And truthful.

We are both close to 70 but we look much younger. Maybe 22. And we don't act old either.

But age is a motherfucker. It is relentless. Unless you are dead. 

Sooner or later, age catches up to you. Apparently, sooner is here for me.

I am a bit off balance. I have 600 million miles to go to get to my own personal peace. I do not want to die in torment.

I need time.

Fucking wrinkled hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment