Monday, March 7, 2022

Sweet Serendipity

I wrapped up Andre Agassi's autobiography.

Spectacular. I will tell you about it eventually.

But I am here today to appreciate serendipity. I love it when a book I'm reading leads me to other books, books I know nothing about.

Agassi mentioned a book titled A Death In The Family, by James Agee. Published posthumously in 1957. Never heard of the book, never heard of the author. It is a big deal. A big deal that I somehow missed along the way.

I researched it, I own it, I'm reading it.

Who the hell would think that Andre Agassi would lead me to James Agee?

As I researched James Agee, it lead me to another of his books, titled Let Us Now Praise Famous Men. Another big deal. It is about the lives of sharecroppers in Alabama in 1936.

I ordered it, it's on the way.

How I miss significant books and authors like this escapes me. But I can't be aware of everything. I mean, shit, man - I do not even know who I am. How the hell can I know who James Agee is?

James Agee was novelist, journalist, poet, screenwriter and film critic who lived from 1909 to 1955. Are you kidding me? Some people, when they are talented with words, can write anything. Amazing.

He was also a heavy drinker and a heavy smoker, which endears him to me even more. I connect with tortured souls.

The introduction to A Death In The Family was written by Steve Earle, a man I admire. In 1974, Earle hitchhiked to Nashville, Tennessee from Texas when he was 19. Agee was born and raised in Knoxville, TN. Earle had never heard of Agee but when he did, many years later, working in Knoxville, he met "local hipsters: a handful of hyper-literate hillbillies who spoke in reading lists, all of which began and ended with James Agee."

His introduction captures the feel of the man, the feel of his life, and the tone of the book beautifully. 

I am 66 pages into the book and I love it already. I loved it immediately.

The blessings of good literature are many. Contentment, education, peace, lower blood pressure and a longer life.

Spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment