Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Wisdom On Fogo Island

Fogo Island is a remote island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland and Labrador in Canada.

It was featured on an episode of 60 Minutes because of this and that; you should watch it, it is a good story. A human story. A heartwarming story.

There is a small bar on Fogo where the locals relax and socialize. They get together for what they call "shed parties." Not to get drunk but to consume alcohol in the manner in which it was meant to be consumed - in the spirit of good company.

They have a traditional song they sing; one aspect of it involves handshaking. As the woman sings it, she walks around shaking hands. I like that. It personalizes the music even more than naturally happens.

The lyric I love: "Be satisfied with what you've got, and leave well enough alone."

Simple, direct, almost harsh. But beautiful.

Happiness is a simple thing. It's all about perspective. Why can't I keep that straight in my mind?

I have sharpened my receptors, I'm improving in my dedication to getting smiles from the little things - the enormously good things - in my life.

But I want..............................and therein lies the rub.

I want my own life, I want money, I want retirement, I want to lose weight, I want vitality, I want freedom, I want dignity.

Those "wants" weigh approximately 250 tons, and I carry them on my back.

Tough to move around freely within happiness when you are forced to duck walk in a permanent squat because of the weight of "wants."

I don't interpret the "and leave well enough alone" part as giving up, or passively accepting your lot in life. I think it is a warning not to poison your happiness. Recognize it, enjoy it, appreciate it. If you must seek change, do it - but never lose site of those precious things that fuel your heart with the love and happiness it requires to keep on beating.

I haven't figured out too much of this puzzle; I experience small happiness much more often than I used to, which is good. But I continue to kill enormous amounts of small happinesses in worry and regret, which is a fucking crime.

I don't know what it is going to take. Maybe a daily visit from The Grim Reaper. He shows up in my room every day and stands there in silence for 15 minutes, looking directly into my eyes. I don't know if I am going to die or if he is going to leave. I am sweating blood.

He leaves. I am relieved.

How many visits like that would it take for me to wake the fuck up?

One? That is all it should take.

But with my track record, who the fuck knows.

In the meantime "be satisfied with what you've got and leave well enough alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment