Monday, January 2, 2012

The Day After

I am proud to say a new tradition has been initiated in 2012. The Annual Joe Testa Open House Birthday Bash.
The inaugural was held yesterday and the participants were Paula and Bill, Eddie and Rich. And of course me and Carol. Participating in spirit and by phone were Keith, Emily, Craig, Karen, Dina and Eric.
I feel compelled to note the attendees because they will be immortalized as this thing grows into a gala extravaganza. In five years I expect a crowd of 20 to 25 people including Keith Richards, Jack Nicholson, Johnny Depp and David Letterman, and a host of luminaries. The four physical attendees will be proud to reveal that they were in on the ground floor.
Had a great day. Had a great birthday.

Today is January 2, 2012 and I hope you are doing OK. 01/02 can be a bitch because it is all over, baby. Holidays gone, nothing ahead but cold and snow. It is a shock and it sucks. Many of you may have today off because the holiday is generally recognized today. I hope you have a beautiful day.
 I had one day off for Thanksgiving, one day for Christmas, one day for New Year. Gotta work today. Even though state employees have the day off as a paid holiday. And I will not be paid time and a half. That royally sucks. No dignity at all. That's because I work for the liquor commission, an organization that cares only about business and nothing at all about their employees. The stores were open on New Year's day. How incredibly greedy and inconsiderate is that?
I know I speak for millions of people who are in the same boat as me. Low Wage Earners. People to whom holidays mean nothing because their employers don't allow them to mean anything.
It is a sad commentary on this country when business sucks the life out of the holidays. The holidays used to be sacred. No more.
Anyway, to Low Wage Earners everywhere, grit your teeth and grind through this day as many of your friends and relatives sit back in comfort and get paid for it. Gget home, have a drink and flip your middle finger to greedy, inconsiderate employers everywhere, especially The New Hampshire State Liquor Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment