Monday, January 23, 2012

PATS 23 ravens 20

When my father was incredibly angry, he would use the expression pig's eye. If he spoke those words you knew you were in the danger zone. He never hit me, but I think pig's eye was a warning that he was within a hair of doing so. If in 1972 I said "Dad someday there will be a black President of The United States" his response would have been "Pig's eye" and I would have backed off immediately.
I saw the pig's eye thing in Tom Brady yesterday after the game. On national TV he said that he sucked and his eyes flashed fire.
This is a good thing.
The man is a god, but he looked a tad fallible at times against the broncos and the ravens. Missed passes he wouldn't normally miss. Got rattled. Not sure what's going on there. I'm sure Gisele can't cook. Maybe intestinal disorders are catching up with him.
I think he has had enough. Going up against the giants on 02/05, concentrated anger will be a formidable weapon. The giants robbed us of a 19-0 season a few years ago. Robbed us of the chance to do something that has never been done before. And something we will never have the chance to do again.
I'm sure that has been burning in Brady's gut ever since.
And because he is a pro, I'm sure he doesn't see it as a robbery. I'm sure he takes the blame, admits THE PATS got beat and is dying for a chance to redeem himself. 02/05, baby - 02/05.
Eli has been getting attention for the elite quarterback thing. Bet that disturbs Brady as well. Please look at Eli's stats from last year.
He has had a better year this year and he is definitely a winner. I hate to admit that, but he does have a ring, and he has led the giants to successful seasons.
But he is a whiny little man, a Manning trait. I don't think Archie was like that; I don't remember seeing thirteen year old facial expressions on his mug. Peyton and Eli were brought up rich. Perhaps they were spoiled. Perhaps they learned to whine when they don't get their way.
In any event, Brady is a man, Manning is a boy.
I want XLVI to go one of two ways. I want THE PATS to win 334 to 2, OR I want THE PATS to score a touchdown with no time left, making the final score 24-21. In other words, I want THE PATS to humiliate the giants in front of the world OR I want them to crush their spirit at the last second.
Now, in the interests of preserving the vibe, I am not guaranteeing a PATS victory. I am cautiously optimistic. I know exactly what I need to wear to focus the positive vibe in a laser-like way. In fact, my buddy Bob Kraft called after the game and complimented me on my outfit and thanked me for contributing to the victory.
I have to survive the next two weeks. Not easy. Don't give a damn about anything else, and this could be a problem because I might have a job interview during that time period.
It could go like this. "Joe - from a manager's perspective, what is your most important function?" "Super Bowl XLVI". "Joe - if a subordinate is stealing money what is the appropriate response?" "Super Bowl XLVI."
You get the picture.
I am hobbled with expectations. I am as giddy as a schoolboy. I feel good, I feel confident, I feel alive.
This is our fifth trip to the Super Bowl since the beginning of the century. That is an amazing stat. This is an amazing organization and an amazing team.
I'm hungry for a fourth title, hungry like a rich man is hungry to keep his foot on the back of my neck.
I may be broke, no restaurants, no buying anything that is fun, strapped in, limited and constricted, but I got football, baby.
I got football.

No comments:

Post a Comment