Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cruel And Cold

I am sitting here on a cruelly cold Thursday night looking at the moon. The temperature is single digits, the wind is howling, it is January 24 and you wonder what this is all about.

You wonder why.

When I came up here it was just beginning darkness, now it is full on.

The moon is bright and will be full on 1/26, although it looks pretty full right now. It looks cool sitting up there with billions of years of knowledge that it trys to beam our way, futilely of course. We humans are not sensitive to the things we should be sensitive to.

Although there is a song that says "The moon is a harsh mistress. It does not surrender it's secrets easily." That is probably closer to the truth than my romantically jaded vision.

By the way, the age of the moon was recently downgraded. Scientists believed it to be 4.6 billion years old. It is now estimated to be 4.4 billion years old. That's a difference of 200 million years.

I wish I could downgrade my age by that magnitude.

I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow morning. It will be graveyard cold and I am not looking forward to it.

I am thinking about a couple of rays of hope that are dancing in my life right now and wondering why they do not bring me warmth.

It's time to make a shopping list for when I get out of work tomorrow. It's time to cook supper.

I'll figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment