Saturday, January 12, 2013

So

Someone has elevated the word "so" to lofty status and I don't like it.

I listen to NPR a lot and I have noticed lately that a lot of interviewees begin an answer with "so."

Here's an example:

Q: Your book purports to prove that drinking two quarts of whiskey daily is not only not harmful, but is actually beneficial to your body and your mind. What type of research did you conduct to arrive at that conclusion?

A: So, I went down to the Bowery and hung at Dino's Bar and Grill for 6 months running.................

What is the purpose of the word "so?" I think it makes these intellectuals sound stupid.

I have noticed it creeping into TV. I also watch a lot of MSNBC and have picked up on interviewees beginning their conversations with that meaningless, little word.

Here's an example:

Q: You claim to have proof that president Obama is Superman. Not metaphorically but literally, with an ability to fly, to bounce bullets off his chest and to engage in shy romantic episodes with Michelle. How did you arrive at this conclusion?

A: So, I went down to Washington, D.C. and hung at The White House for 6 months running...............

Idiotic.

I'm wondering if this is the intellectual equivalent of Git 'Er Done, which I also despise.

Why do we need verbal crutches to lean on? It is the antithesis of individuality. As I write that it occurs to me that the question is asked and answered.

Got me thinking about the phrase "How so?" Not many people use that. It sounds weird.

I'm thinking I might adopt it to better express myself and further distance myself from the herd.

Him: "Joe - you are fat, lazy, numb, dumb and shiftless.You are sabotaging our entire operation"

Me: "How so?"

Or

Him: "Joe - you are vulgar and graceless, uninspired and annoying. Don't you realize you are driving customers away and profits down?"

Me: "How so?"

It's something for me to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment