Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Fab Four

I have Leonard Cohen for the ride. And Kris Kristofferson and Townes Van Zandt and Bob Dylan.

Leonard with his Armani suits and Fedora, always a gentleman, a scholar and a romantic; Kris with his grizzled countenance and the words holy and spirit and truth and beauty and honesty; Townes with his humble "Thanks y'all" after every live song, a songwriter's songwriter who never got his due; Bob with that voice and the mystery and the talent and the passion to speak for a generation - any generation.

I keep company with these men regularly.

Without them, I have a specific perspective. Narrow.

With them, the perspective opens up and learning occurs. And emotion and introspection and self evaluation.

And hope. And inspiration.

I have Leonard and Kris and Townes and Bob for the ride.

They are strong enough to bear the weight of my life along with their own, as I lean on them.

And on the day I can stand on my own, we will celebrate together.

No comments:

Post a Comment