Monday, April 22, 2013

An Open Letter To Keith Richards

Keith,

I dig you. I really, really dig you.

You have been a lifelong inspiration to me as a wealthy derelict. That description comes from the heart and is said with love. I want to become a wealthy derelict. The phrase is not meant to be derogatory; I love the fact that you have succeeded on the scale that you have, while still maintaining your badass attitude.

You have never taken any crap from anybody and you stand up for what you believe in with no hesitation. You live your life the way you want to live it, and have defied the odds and the critics by living to the age of 69. And you are not done. Not by a long shot.

I love the fact that people consistently underestimate you, people who try to write you off as a joke. These fools have no idea of the depth of your commitment to The Rolling Stones, to rock n' roll and to the blues. They have no idea that you are substantial. That you have depth and soul. That you would never allow The Stones to suck.

Which is why I hate it when people mock your ages. It is a cliche, something easy to say. All you have to do is listen for 15 seconds to know that you guys still rock. And why not? Many blues icons performed into their nineties. The Stones would not be on stage if they couldn't deliver the goods; you wouldn't allow it.

The Stones are playing the Boston Garden on June 12 and I aim to be there. It is now known as TD Garden but I refuse to call it that. The name has no soul and I know you know what I mean.

I have seen you twice before in THE PATS' stadium, but you were tiny. I had to watch you on the screen. You guys rocked and the sound was great, but the experience wasn't intimate.

I need intimate before either one of us gets any older.

I was 9 when you blew my mind. I can't lie to you though; I was into The Beatles first. I quickly came around and have loved you ever since. And I love the fact that you are still doing it fifty years later.

I checked out ticket prices, which range from $203 to $12,994. Originally this was designed to be a soft complaint about that.

But I can't do it. Because I know The Stones would never screw their fans. The prices are what they are and if I can find a way, I will be a ticket holder.

My wife made it easier for me today by telling me she was not up for the hassle of attending the concert. So the ticket price could be in reach.

I am going through an intense period in my life and this concert would be sweet relief for me. I genuinely intended to whine about ticket prices when I started writing this, but it became something else entirely.

The Rolling Stones are part of my DNA. They mean a hell of a lot to me because of the music and because of the personalities. You are an inspiration to me, but I do not mean to slight Charlie, Ronnie or Mick.

The Stones are part of history and part of the future. You are relevant and you rock. You are deeply meaningful in my life.

You are playing The Garden on June 12.

Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment