Saturday, April 6, 2013

Baseball

Baseball is a plug-in. Suddenly it is baseball season and you are plugged into summer.

It happens that quickly, that easily. Baseball starts and everything slows down, everything gets warmer, things get simpler. It doesn't matter how cold it is where you are or what kind of frenzy is going on in your life, when you watch those first few baseball games, you are thinking hot sun-barbecue-long weekends-indulgent laziness-easy conversation-condensation suggestively dripping down a cold bottle of beer-t-shirts-temporary relief from winter and work.

On Day Two of this newborn baseball season, I watched part of a Dodgers/Giants game. Talk about classic, talk about engaging the history of baseball. In a couple of more weeks I will not watch a Dodgers/Giants game. Baseball really doesn't do it for me long term.

Last night Carol and I watched the Red Sox/Toronto game. I loved it, absolutely enjoyed it. It was a great game. But, again, in a few weeks, watching The Sox will not thrill me. Unless it is a good game. I do enjoy good games.

It is probably the availability. It would be a grand experiment to have one, 162 game football season. Would I still worship football if it was on TV every single night? The diseased part of my brain says yes but I am not really sure.

On a side note: If football were to expand to a 162 game schedule, think of the career opportunities that would open up as legions of players became maimed and injured. I am surprised that sports agents are not pushing this.

I thrive on hype and unpredictability, on passion, on excitement, on intensity. I am easily bored. When your team only plays 1 game a week and hopefully 19 in a season, each experience is intense. I eat intense.

But at this time of year I dig baseball. I will dig it as hard and as long as I can before boredom sets in.

I am psyched for The Sox home opener because my son will be there. That makes something cool even cooler. I will definitely watch the replay.

And I am psyched because Carol and I are talking about buying Sox tickets, an option we haven't had for eight years. Carol loves The Sox, this will make her happy which makes me happy and, honestly, I am psyched to get into Fenway in the sun to enjoy The Boston Red Sox.

Anyway, there is magic in any new born baseball season. A jump start to easy living. There is even magic in the longevity of the season. Watching the torturous road that leads hopefully to the playoffs and maybe a world championship.

Yeah baseball is all right, baby.  Baseball is all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment