Thursday, October 10, 2013

Factotum

When is the last time you used that word?

Me, personally, never.

But I like it. Its one of those words you can drop to befuddle people.

Watching Boardwalk Empire last night and one of the characters used the word. I think it was Al Capone.

It caught my ear because I am aware of the word. Aware of it because Charles Bukowski wrote a fictional book titled Factotum.

I just looked it up and the definition surprised me. Merriam-Webster says "a person having many diverse activities or responsibilities; a general servant. "He was the office factotum."

I expected something heavier than that.

Why do we create words like factotum to describe a general servant? Doesn't that just make things more complicated?

I love it because I am a word guy. But in general, I imagine the English language could get by without the word factotum.

I like what Bukowski did with it much better.

Goodreads summarizes the book in this way: "One of Charles Bukowski's best, this beer-soaked, deliciously degenerate novel follows the wanderings of aspiring writer Henry Chinaski across World War II-era America. Deferred from military service, Chinaski travels from city to city, moving listlessly from one odd job to another, always needing money but never badly enough to keep a job. His day to day existence spirals into an endless litany of pathetic whores, sordid rooms, dreary embraces and drunken brawls, as he makes his bitter, brilliant way from one drink to the next."

That fleshes out the word factotum in a more robust manner.

I read the book. I loved it. They made a movie from it. I saw it.

It stars Matt Dillon as Henry Chinaski.

Carol loves Matt Dillon.

Carol would not love Factotum.

No comments:

Post a Comment