Monday, October 14, 2013

The Perfect Weekend

First of all I had Saturday and Sunday off.

So..............Friday night Carol and I go to the movies, royally dig "Enough Said", grab subs for supper afterwards and chilldig the rest of the night.

Saturday we do Saturday things for half the day, then we motor over to Jason's sublime cottage in the woods for a "summer is dead" party. This place is nestled in the woods right next to a creek that gurgles you directly to peace of mind. Magnificent setting. We play games, we talk, we laugh, we chow. Magnificent night with our two consistently cool hosts - Jason and Karen - and a bunch of friends.

Sunday morning Carol and I arise and go out to breakfast with Jason and Karen. These two are good friends of ours. True friends.The telling is in the comfortable way we sit around the table in breakfast heaven trading easy conversation and laughter.

We get home at eleven having experienced a full and satisfying weekend..................with a full day still ahead of us.

And then Boston sports happened. The icing on the cake.

I parked my ass in the recliner around three and flipped back and forth between the Green Bay game and the Pittsburgh game. I was football ecstatic.

Then THE PATS. One thing I have learned in 2013 is perspective. Prior to that the only perspective I had was that life sucks. I was content to go with that and hang my head. I have fleshed perspective out a little in this bizarre year.

My job is worse to me than broken glass in my intestines and I have fought it every step of the way. Maturity has recently crept into my thinking, or whatever passes for maturity in my tiny and diseased brain. The job pays the bills. I have to accept that while I pursue an escape. I am quite actively pursuing an escape. Prior to that I would have been happy to quit or get fired and let the chips fall where they may.

I got football perspective yesterday. I was thrilled to sit and watch THE PATS. More so than usual, which I did not think was possible. Riveted. Excited. Focused in like a laser.

I can't watch every game this season, which really hurts. But apparently my brain and my emotions have decided that during the games that I can watch, I will be blazingly alive.

Fascinating.

So THE PATS come out and score the winning touchdown with 5 seconds to go.

Absolutely fantastic.

The weekend wasn't over.

The Boston Red Sox stepped into the picture. Right after THE PATS thrilling victory.

Sox are getting dominated by Tigers pitching and Tigers hitting. Down 5 zip.

I was tired. I won't lie. I was also anticipating today. Inventory day at The Asylum. If I get home tonight before midnight it will be a miracle. But I won't whine about it. Or maybe I just did.

I crawled into bed as The Sox were scoring their first run, leaving my warrior wife to cheer them on to the end. She did and filled me in this morning. Filled me in about Big Papi's grand slam to tie the game in the eighth. Saltalamacchia's game winning single that drove in Johnny Gomes in the bottom of the ninth.

Dramatic, exciting, thrilling, appropriate.

Although I did not witness The Sox fireworks, still, Carol and I had ourselves one hell of a weekend.

It was a weekend the way weekends are supposed to be.

The only thing that could have made it better would have been if our sons and their magnificent women were somehow involved.

But you can't have everything.

That's called perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment