Sunday, January 4, 2015

Last Words

When someone dies, we often find ourselves thinking back to the last conversation we had with them.

Wishing we had not said something, wishing we had said something, wishing there even was some meaningful last conversation.

I got lucky.

The last time we visited Sarge, I was the last one walking out of the room. Cori was standing next to the bed.

He said "Ciao for now."

He used to say that all the time. Typical cool Sarge phrase that he made all his own.

I use "Ciao" a lot but I try to refrain from using "Ciao for now" to avoid charges of plagiarism or being sued for copyright infringement.

Truthfully, if I used it a lot I would have felt guilty for stealing it from Sarge. So I use it sparingly.

Anyway he said "Ciao for now" as I was walking out the door. I turned around and told him I had stolen that phrase from him. That I used it from time to time and that I had stolen it from him.

He smiled.

That is the last conversation we ever had.

I can picture the smile, I can hear his words and I will cherish the memory forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment