Tuesday, January 20, 2015

"Oh My God, Joey"

It was 7:00 a.m., Carol was getting ready to go to work this morning, I was lounging in bed because I (thank God) have another day off from my ridiculous little job, when Carol said : "Oh my God, Joey. Look!."

I sat up quickly and immediately got a cramp in my aged thigh but it was worth it.

Looked out through our glass sliders to see five deer approaching our yard.

Five.

Magnificent.

We observed then for 30 seconds or a minute, then Carol ran downstairs to get the camera.

While she was gone they suddenly became alert, looking towards our idiot neighbors' yard.

They stood still for a moment as only deer can, then bolted back into the woods.

I looked out to see if our mongrel neighbors had scared them away but there was nobody out there.

I believe this was a case of truth and beauty confronting the aura of ignorance and insensitivity.

Our neighbors are real low lifes. Hunters, gun enthusiasts, with an average education level of the fourth grade; proud outspoken enthusiasts of every poisonous prejudice imaginable.

Scum. Real scum.

I think what happened was the deer suddenly sensed that they were near enemy territory, the worst enemy imaginable. Must have been conflicting because all they were getting from our yard was love and awe.

But survival instinct trumps all else and they bolted.

Deer are magical and I think it was cool and meaningful that they walked into our yard.

I don't ultimately understand the significance but I am going to assume something positive and run with that.

Could help me make it through the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment