Saturday, January 10, 2015

Our Ring

I lost my wedding ring.

It has been on my finger for 36 years, 28 days. Approximately. I cannot convey to you what an empty feeling that is for me.

I was reading this morning, had been for about an hour. Stopped to stretch and somehow I noticed the ring was gone. It's not like I check for it all the time or admire it with swooning intensity. It's just that, all of a sudden, I noticed it wasn't there.

Since I have lost weight it has slipped off my finger from time to time.

Always when I am cold.

Could have happened this morning. Could have happened yesterday.

I walked around the house, walked around the yard, took a look around and in my car.

Not there.

Some people downplay the significance of a ring or a piece of paper. They can kiss my ass.

The ring is inscribed with words Carol and I dedicated to each other. I take it off from time to time and squint to read those words.

The ring is a solid reminder of the life Carol and I have shared for almost 37 of our 61 years on this planet.

A good life.

A life that through all the ups and downs and hard times has resulted in the greatest magic of all.

Keith and Craig. Emily and Karen.

I lost my wedding ring.

I am fucking pissed.

No comments:

Post a Comment