Monday, June 6, 2016

As My Vocabulary Expands

I have moved forward from "Oh my God."

This morning I was sitting in my recliner, reading. I stopped to take a sip of coffee, put the cup down, looked out through the open French doors to see our cats sleeping peacefully, to glory in the beautiful sunshine and the warmth and freedom of the day.

I said out loud "Wow." Once again amazed and overwhelmed and appreciative of my good fortune.

A little later I walked towards the kitchen, stopping to turn around and look out the wide open window towards Carol's soul-nourishing garden.

I said out loud "Stunning."

I feel my new reality sinking in today.

Friday was my first day off but it still just felt like a day off. We enjoyed the weekend together but I benefited from occasional weekends while I endured that hideous job so it did not feel all that different.

It does today. Maybe because it is Monday.

I was on the porch taking in the beauty of my surroundings. I headed back into the house to grab this laptop.

I noticed that I was walking slowly. I noticed that my arms and legs were moving loosely. I literally felt the looseness in my body, and as I realized this I laughed out loud.

I am the luckiest man on this whole goddamn planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment