Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Notebook

I keep a notebook next to the anti-ambition chair so I can write down brilliant, inspirational ideas that I intend to get creative with.

My brain gets flooded with them - things that occur to me naturally, snippets I pick off TV, things people say, musical lyrics and some deeply embedded insanity that makes its way to the surface of my brain, unbidded.

Problem is there are too many for me to keep up with. And the argument could be made that many of them are more garbage than inspiration, although I believe every creative thought in my head is brilliant.

Unfortunately I am too cryptic with my notes. I'll write something short intended to spark my imagination; when I look back at it a month later I have no idea what my intended angle was. Not enough detail to fire up the brain.

I was flipping through the notebook the other day -  42 pages of writing prompts - forty two - many that I have used, many that have been neglected.

Some of them sounded so goddamn promising but I have no idea what I was thinking at the time.

Some examples: Prufrockian paralysis; intangibles/violence/banking; cornered by life/wounded by hope; booze + madness + listening to Bukowski; possible to like evil - condescend goodness?; purple - color of death; shut the fuck up and let me die in peace; dead plants + violins - beauty + sadness; talking to old guys about baseball; Koch brothers - do what Snoop does?.

My mind is a fertile playground of possibilities. (Those words popped into my head - I just had to write them down.)

I have lost the thread for many of these snippets in the notebook; no idea where the hell I intended to go with them.

In related news...........I also lost the thread of where I was going with this post. I figured that reviewing my notes would spark some sort of creative thinking and/or analysis in my diseased brain, but apparently right now I am an empty vessel.

The best I can come up with is perhaps using these long lost snippets as a creative exercise - make what I will out of them, absent the original inspiration. Could be fun. May bear fruit.

Anyway, sorry to bore you this day. Sorry to let you down, entertainment-wise.

I'll try to do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment