Saturday, June 25, 2016

Cleveland Rocks! Cleveland Rocks!

I'm not sure about LeBron but I am happy for Cleveland.

It is cathartic for a city to win a championship, especially after a long drought.

First championship in Cleveland since 1964. The Browns won the NFL title in 1964, led by legendary running back and one of my inspirations - Jim Brown. This was three years before the first Super Bowl; that's how far back it goes.

I don't enjoy having Jim Brown's name associated with LeBron's.

Jim Brown was a god - in an understated, I do my talking on the field kind of way. He was not a loudmouth. He projected a personality that was tough and cool - you did not fuck around with Jim Brown.

I remember how he got up so slowly off the ground after being tackled; he looked ultra cool. He said he did it to conserve energy.

I loved to watch him blow through guys trying to tackle him, carrying other would be tacklers along with him. He was a monster, a machine - he was feared by defenses throughout the league.

As I have said 14 million times in here - he is my first football memory.

LeBron is too aware of himself, too self promotional - he has openly said that he is the greatest basketball player in the world.

Maybe, as I think about this, maybe it is a matter of degrees or approach. Muhammad Ali called himself the greatest and I loved him for it. But he had a sense of humor and a likeability about him that was irresistible.

LeBron takes himself too seriously.

Anyway I am happy for Cleveland. A city wraps its soul around its sports teams. People live and die with their sports teams.

Sports offer a passionate escape for everything that ails you, whether you are digging a great game or enduring another loss - at least you feel alive and are able to forget about the more disappointing details of your life.

Over one million people attended the Cavaliers' victory parade this past week. One million people who got to yell and scream and cut loose and just let their freak flags fly. I'm sure there were a hell of a lot of hangovers on Thursday and why not? People need and deserve a reason to celebrate - a few dead brain cells is not too big a sacrifice to make.

I love the fact over 5,000 Cleveland fans have started a facebook page planning a victory parade for the Cleveland Indians. It will take place from 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. on November 3, 2016.

This is so cool. The Indians have not won the World Series since 1948. I love the fact that Cleveland fans are trying to keep the ball rolling, trying to keep the vibe alive.

And why not? Working for a living is a pain in the ass. Celebrating championships is a little slice of ecstasy, baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment