Saturday, April 17, 2021

Right On, Baby

 From Bono's fan letter to The Rolling Stones:

"That The Rolling Stones exist at all is one of the great encouragements for any teenager who wants to believe they don't have to grow up ALL THE WAY."

I would amend that to say "Any 67 year old who wants to believe they don't have to grow up ALL THE WAY."

I love this because I have never grown up. And I am comfortable with that.

I will always be a man who loves The Blues, rock 'n roll, whiskey, barstools and insanity. Especially insanity. And irreverence.

I hate responsibility. Deadlines and commitments.

A quote that has always stuck with me came from Howard Stern many years ago, and I am paraphrasing - something about the fact that when he met with other parents at his kids' school functions, he felt like they were adults and he was a kid.

I can identify.

I get sucked into adult conversations because I am an adult, but they turn my stomach. When people talk to me about property values, real estate taxes, insurance etc - bile rises up into my mouth.

Are you fucking serious? This is what you want to talk about?

Instead of music, poetry, film, love, empathy, LIFE - give me a break. Sometimes I feel like people raise these topics because they feel they have to. They bore me.

I don't believe this is what they think about in the silent corners of their minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment