Sunday, April 25, 2021

The Joy of a Good Moment

Just read an interview with Michael Douglas in AARP magazine.

He said, with respect to aging: "I'm just looking for the joy of a good moment."

Many times someone else expresses my feelings perfectly. I hate it when they beat me to it because I am a word guy, but you take inspiration from whence you find it.

I am looking for the joy of a good moment with my family. Individually and together. This is exactly what I want from now on.

Nothing extravagant or organized or planned - I need the simple love and comfort and friendship of my family because they are my family. The most precious relationships you can have.

Carol and I did things our own way when it comes to being parents and I am proud of the results. But one thing I was sometimes uncomfortable with was the ritualized dinners (except THANKSGIVING!). I sometimes felt we were following in the footsteps of my parents - demanding attendance in a ritualized setting of sitting around the dining room table.

Don't get me wrong - I love having my family gathered around me and we have had many spectacular dinners, where conversation and laughter overshadowed the food.

But now I want flexibility - getting together in restaurants, outdoor settings, bars - in intimate groups or large gatherings. In places that by their very nature add an additional element of fun and significance to the gathering.

When I am with my family from now on I want everyone to know - to feel - that this moment is special. You can never be with your family as often as you would like to be. It is important that the love is palpable.

From now on, when I am with my family, I want all of us to be looking for and to recognize the joy of a good moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment