Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Wasted Days - Part 2

 Dig these lyrics (it's ok to cry):

"How many summers still remain, how many days are lost in vain, who's counting out these last remaining years, how many minutes do we have here......................

How much sorrow is there left to climb, how many promises are worth the time, and who on earth is worth our time, is there a heart here that I can call mine.......................

How can a man watch his life go down the drain, how many moments has he lost today, and who among us could ever see clear, the end is coming, it's almost here"

The chorus goes: "Wasted days, wasted days, we watch our lives just fade away too, more wasted days".

Heavy, heavy lyrics. Truth is what makes them so heavy.

This is John Mellencamp singing with Bruce Springsteen. Mellencamp is 70 years old. Springsteen is 72.

These men have spent a lifetime making music. Their music is made deeper by the lessons they have learned. Wisdom. It comes with age. And if you can express that wisdom and the emotion that comes with it in a song or a poem or a story - then you will connect with other humans because we are all on the same ride.

If two other people sang this song it would not be the same. It would pack less of a punch. Because Mellencamp has followed his own path and so has Springsteen. They each bring those specific experiences and perspectives to the song. But it is obvious that they connect as human beings, and they bring that to the song as well.

It bumps up the impact exponentially.

I will listen to this song a lot. It is in my wheelhouse right now because I am trying so hard not to waste any days, waste any moments (I fail every day).

I am trying to keep my fucking eyes open and my mind alert. I am trying to make something of myself, trying to make something out of my life.

Troubadours and poets, man. We fucking need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment