Tuesday, February 21, 2023

And Then There's The New

Craig and Amanda gave me a gift certificate to BAM, a bookstore in Concord.

Along with a book by one of my favorite authors - Cormac McCarthy.

The last time I was in BAM was shortly after they showed up in Concord, many years ago, and I didn't like the place. They sold books, but they also sold toys, maybe electronics, and other shit. It felt like they had not made up their mind to be a bookstore. 

They have changed.

I bought a book there with my gift certificate and was blown away. They have books. No more fucking toys, no electronics. I took a walk around and was in heaven. I browsed and covered a lot of the store, leaving a lot more to cover. I felt comfortable browsing, which is important. Nobody bothering me. The atmosphere of a bookstore is everything. If I'm not comfortable, I'm not buying.

They have discount tables. Very cool. Lots of books covering lots of topics at reasonable prices. Tables that will inspire me to buy books I would not ordinarily buy. Which I have already done.

I have been back twice since the first trip. One day I was heading in to work and was really down, really did not want to go to work, so I called in late and popped into BAM. Browsed. Bought two books and a Bruins calendar. Found myself some peace.

The employees are friendly and helpful. You don't always get that in chains

There was an old guy in front of me at the counter paying for his books and talking old guy stuff to the young woman behind the counter. Stuff she obviously would never agree with. I could see it in her eyes. But she was very polite and amazingly tolerant. As opposed to the way I treat annoying customers, which is to shit on them.

I bought my first book there online, but unfortunately arranged to pick it up in a store in Rockaway, NJ. Not exactly convenient. When I realized that, I called customer service, expecting a pain in the ass process, especially considering the fact that I used a gift certificate. Instead I got a woman who was helpful, cheery and efficient. Crisis averted. I was pleased.

Ultimately it is all about the books, and they have a huge inventory. I like the way the place is set up. Easy to find the topics I am interested in. Easy to find the authors I want to find. Easy to stumble across books I had no intention of buying. A quiet, comfortable place to browse.

A place of peace for me. Now I have two. Old Number Six Book Depot, and BAM. An embarrassment of riches.

Pretty sure I'll be calling in late for work a little more often now.

No comments:

Post a Comment