Thursday, February 2, 2023

You Rascal You

Remember Louis Prima?

I mean, how could you not, right? Actually I am faking it. I knew his name and nothing else about him. Until this song came into my life - (I'll Be Glad When You're Dead) You Rascal You.

Louis Prima was born in 1910 and died in 1978. He was a singer, songwriter, bandleader, and trumpeter. Much like myself.

He had a pretty goddamn successful career. Made lots of money and had a dedicated following. And he was Italian!, which is magic in and of itself.

Italians know how to eat, how to have a good time, how to cook, how to drink - they are passionate and creative and expressive and emotional and short-tempered, they know how to party; they know how to live, baby.

Prima was married five times and had six children. He led big bands, he played in jazz combos, he played Dixieland and Swing. Over the course of his career he worked out of New York City, California, and New Orleans. Recorded a bunch of records. He also acted in a bunch of films. He was a busy dude and very popular.

I was reading a James Lee Burke book and he quoted a lyric from (I'll Be Glad When You're Dead) You Rascal You: "I'll be standing on the corner plastered, when they bring your body by". I was immediately intrigued. Burke did not mention the name of the song, but I found it.

There seems to be two versions of the song, but the sentiment is equally touching in both versions.

Stuff like: "I trust you in my home, you wouldn't leave my wife alone...................I fed you since last fall, then you got your ashes hauled........you know you done me wrong, you done stole my wife and gone...............I'm gonna kill you just for fun, the buzzards gonna have you when I'm done, I'll be glad when you dead, you rascal, you."

I am particularly fond of the "ashes hauled" line.

The man was talented, very successful, and he had a sense of humor. And yet most people today never heard of the guy. 

It is such a weird thing that we are imprisoned in limited cultural circumstances by virtue of the time period we live and die in. I mean, you can do the research and get turned on to stuff from the past, but most of us are too busy trying to find the best deal on a set of steel belted radials to find time for research.

Louis Prima made his mark, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment