Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Don't Kill The Music

The local board of selectman voted not to fund the Summer Outdoor Concert series going forward.

Motherfuckers.

Why is it these insensitive louts always go after the arts? The arts are the only thing that makes life worth living. All else is shit.

The series is partially funded by the town and partially funded by donations. Now the whole thing is on the shoulders of the town folk. It would not surprise me to see the town folk anty up. We will be donating.

Carol and I dabbled in the concerts over the years. A couple here, a couple there. But we made it a"thing" in 2022. We attended maybe five of them. Six? I'm not sure - I'm not good at math.

We made sandwiches. We brought water. I was tempted to sneak a little whiskey in with me but I decided - in the spirit of the event - to behave myself (not an easy thing for me to do). Brought our chairs. Set up on the lawn and just basked in the vibe. The crowd. The music. The magic of a summer night.

It was fucking spectacular, and it was an easy and comfortable night out that we looked forward to.

Now these shortsighted, selfish assholes want to take it away from the people.

Let's face it - the average age of the crowd is about 104. And that factors in the younger folk - of which there are many - many with kids. So it's a crowd made up predominantly of retired people, people who appreciate a pleasant night out, people who do not take the concerts for granted, people who cannot afford to and don't have the energy to go to TD Garden for a fucking concert.

Most of the music is spectacular. The rest is very good. So this is not a joke. This is not Grady, South Carolina from Doc Hollywood. This is not a fucking squash festival. This is quality stuff.

And a quality night out. Summer nights - who does not want to be out on a beautiful summer night? People with dogs, kids, people eating ice cream and pizza, people dancing, people singing.

I think the concert series will survive. I think people will step up. It is too special to let it die. 

I think none of the selectman who voted against it should be allowed to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment