Tuesday, November 28, 2023

A Blissful Ride

Driving back home after dropping another $42,000 on my car today in supreme bliss.

At least after I passed Exits 15E and 15W on 93 North. Turning left onto 93 North out of Concord has been my secret bliss every time I left work. But I gotta get past 15E and 15W.

Exits 13 and 14 and 15 were exits we used all the time. But Exit 16 was no man's land - we rarely took Exit 16. So Exit 16 is meaningful to me in a deeply symbolic way. It signifies freedom, it signifies newness, it signifies a fresh start on a new playing field.

I passed 16 and 17 and grew increasingly happier. Exits 18 and 19 get you deeper into the boonies, small town America. You can see it. You can feel it.

But Exit 20, man - Exit 20 is the first of four that get you into The Lakes Region. Exit 20 is our exit. I love saying "The Lakes Region" - I love the sound of it. 

"Oh, Muffy - whatever shall we do today?" "Well, Bif - I would simply die for a chance to go to the lake!" "Well then, Lovey - I shall pack a picnic basket. Which do you prefer? The Silver Oak cabernet - or the 2018 Lancaster Estate cabernet?" "Dahhhhhling, pack them both, of course."

My soul was soaring as I turned onto Exit 20 today. I am finally free. Because I am never going back. 

I do not ever want to drive on Route 89 and Route 202/9 again. Ever. Living in Henniker, those routes were unavoidable. No matter where we went it took 202/9 and 89 to get there. Because Henniker is the end of the line, the edge of this flat earth. We did it 35,000 times in 37 years. As I was driving them this afternoon, escaping Henniker with my new starter, I was actually filled with loathing. I could not wait to turn onto 93 North.

When I did, my heart pounded in excitement. Bliss took over and escalated until I took Exit 20 and finally reached the state of being I have eternally aspired to.

Euphoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment