Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Seems Sad to Me

 The lonesome sound of daytime tv......

That's a line from a book I'm reading. It resonated with me because when I stretch in front of the kitchen door in the morning, usually around 6:30, the person in the home across the way is always watching tv.

I am not spying. The homes in this community are close together, but not in an obnoxious way. Still, all of our lives intersect.

I stretch in front of the door because I love having a new view. Yesterday a guy walked by with his little dog. The funny thing was that a cat was following along behind them. Maybe ten yards behind. Leisurely, unconcerned. Maintaining the same pace.

I don't know if the cat belonged to the man and the dog, or if he was a neighborhood cat. Whatever the reality was, it was fun to watch.

I pride myself on not leaning on tv for comfort. I will always choose a book first. Maybe a bottle of whiskey. And silence.

The person across the way appears to live alone. Always only one car in the driveway. We have not seen this person outside. Not once since we've been here. But that seems typical for this community. Very few signs of life. Kind of strange.

I never see any movement in the house. The only thing I see is the tv. Always on at 6:30 in the morning.

Seems sad to me. But maybe this person is happy.

I hope so.





No comments:

Post a Comment