Tuesday, November 28, 2023

An Audible SNAP!

Did you hear that?

Loud. Conclusive. That was the sound of the umbilical cord to the last 37 years of my life snapping with authority.

I have been trying to break free since we moved up here on 10/31. But life is never clean and neat.

I had to work for a couple of weeks. Same job, same people, same job-related bullshit. But last Monday was my last day at that job. The cord got thinner.

But my car needed megatons of work - brakes all around, tires all around, inspection, oil change. I did not want to risk that at a new place. So when I got out of work on my last day of work...........................I drove to Henniker. Left my car overnight. Carol picked me up (over an hour and a half round trip commute for her).

The next day we drove back down to Henniker and picked up the Royal Transportation. You would think that would be the end of it. Nope. But the cord did get thinner.

Later that week my car decided to fuck with me. Trouble starting it. Five or six tries every time. Once it started 10 seconds after I took my finger off the starter button and my foot off the break. This morning the dashboard lit up as if the engine had started ("careful driving, don't read this while driving") - I could even shift into and out of gear - but the engine was not running.

Had a medical appointment in Concord this morning, which is half way to Henniker, so when I got out I drove to fucking Henniker, assuming the latest bullshit was somehow related to the work they did last week.

It wasn't. The starter was going. So I waited around for 2 hours while they got a starter delivered, pulled out the old and installed the new. And spent another $42,000 on my car.

But when I left, I left.

All I have wanted since we moved on 10/31 was to be done with my old life. 100%. A perfectly clean break. I wanted to start living in our new town, revolving every aspect of our life around the new home, the new town, the new people, the new businesses, the new restaurants. Today is 11/28. I finally have what I want.

Jubilation reigns supreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment