Saturday, November 11, 2023

A Fanciful Incident

I don't remember if I told you about this or not and I am too lazy to find out.

If I did, go grab yourself a beer and sit down to another episode of The Price Is Right.

The first fucked up show of the last three happened a few weeks ago. A sold out show. I was cranking, dealing with the assholes one after the other after another.

And my laptop crashed.

That has never happened to me in more than six years at this job. I have endured every other kind of fuckup and problem and glitch imaginable, but never of that magnitude.

I froze. I had a line of people in front of me that stretched through the lobby, out the doors and down the walkway. And the person in front of me got testy. I called Lorne and restarted the computer - which takes some time. Lorne came up the street, got everything up and running again - I walked back to the window.

To face the asshole who woudn't shut up. I started to process her order - she said something sarcastic to me.....................and I replied with sarcasm and poison. I don't even know what I said, but I know it had nothing to do with peace, love and understanding. Lorne gently grabbed my arm and asked "Do you want to take a break?" He manned the window.

I walked into the back room for a few minutes seeing red -  furious beyond belief and shook up by the laptop crash. After a few minutes I left - the building. I grabbed my jacket, walked to my car, and took a ride. And never went back.

This happened before we moved to our new home but after the purchase was approved. Strangely I drove to the new house. There was no thought process involved - I was still seeing red. I did not think "Gee whiz, I think I'll go take a look at my new house." I just got on the highway and drove.

Half an hour to the new house. In the meantime Lorne texted me, and called me twice. I did not respond. I stopped in front of the new place and meditated. Drove around the circle and stopped in front of it again - this time at an angle from which I could shine my headlights on it. It gave me peace. Fortunately no one called the cops.

I drove back to Henniker and said nothing to Carol. That was a Friday night. On Saturday morning I texted Lorne to ask if I still had a job. He responded that we would talk on Monday. We did talk it through and he let it go. He is an amazing, empathetic, and forgiving man. That night, knowing I still had a job, I told Carol the story.

It was a genuine, psychotic, fucking insane meltdown.

I survived it.

And lived to tell the tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment