Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Let Me Flesh This Out For You

The old place became the proverbial albatross around my neck.

It embarrassed me to have my own family visit. Friends too. Even the cable guy, or plumbers. After a couple of decades, anyone who walked into that house humiliated me.

Because the abysmal condition of that house reflected directly on me. It's run down appearance labelled me a Loser.

I am not a handyman. If I pick up a tool, blood squirts out of me ears. So I was not capable of "making repairs." In addition, I worked for chump change my whole life. When I should have been earning $150,000/year, I was earning $30K - a fucking joke. I just never made the effort. So I could not afford to hire a handyman.

One more thing - an intangible. I never believed in the life I was living. I don't believe in chaining myself to a mortgage, I never really wanted to. I never wanted to do the shirt and tie thing and work a predictable job. So I kind of didn't care. I did not look at the house as an investment that needed my love and care - I looked at it as a burden.

Which is why it is so ironic that the house ultimately saved us. Fate, baby - who knew?

That is why I keep going on and on and on about how happy I am. That 20 ton weight has been lifted off of my back. I am starting over with a fresh, blank canvas. And no mortgage. Living in a home I am proud to show off.

And now that I am acutely aware of what happens to a house when you neglect it, I am primed and ready to stay on top of everything.

I love this home. Carol loves this home.

Second chances, baby. Miracles.

F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote: "There are no second acts in American lives." He was wrong. This is my second act.

I intend to go out to thundering applause.

No comments:

Post a Comment