Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Take This Job and Shove It

I ain't working here no more.

Gave my 2 weeks notice yesterday. 

My last day of employment at the Capitol Center for the Arts is Monday, November 20, 2023. A momentous date indeed.

Feels so good to get that monkey off my back. Another tumbler falling into place in this, my new life.

I do not have another job lined up. You say "Oh my God, Joe - whaddya gonna do?" Relax, positive momentum is on my side. That and cash. We banked a chunk of change when we sold the old place, which added to our existing balance gives me comfortable breathing room. If a month or two goes by, panic is not in the cards.

My top priority is to land a job with dignity. And a healthy paycheck. I am taking aim at security. There is no doubt that I will "pass" before Carol does. And when I do, I will leave her somewhat vulnerable, financially. I cannot live (die) with that. I put her in this position, I will get her out.

Since I semi-fucking-retired in 2016 I have settled for menial part-time jobs that were so far beneath me I was commuting to hell. My thinking was I would tough it out until I found my calling. I blew it instead. Got nowhere, accomplished nothing.

I will chase whatever dignified employment makes sense to me. Simultaneously, I will keep myself apprised of whatever lowly jobs are close by. As much as I lust for dignity and $, the truth is I am 69 years old. Most employers would rather I die than hire me.

I am taking a bit of a risk. Who knows, maybe I am chronically unemployble. Maybe I will crash and burn. But you know what? Contrary to lifetime appearances, I am a risk taker. I should spend 75% of my time standing in front of a craps table in Vegas. It is in my nature. That aspect of my personality got smothered by responsibility. I got careful. I had a house, I had a family, I owed money to bloodsuckers - I could not make a move without somebody monitoring my whereabouts.

I am reviving the risk taker. I am confident, I got luck on my side, I got a little room to breathe.

"You better not try to stand in my way as I'm a-walkin' out the door"

No comments:

Post a Comment