Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Diluted and Polluted

What we call progress is really decay.

Everything gets diluted and polluted. You start out with something original back in the day, something good. Over time - and I am not sure if this is particular to America or not - it gets weak. Feeble. Watered down.

SportsCenter. Was a spectacular show back in the day. Keith Olberman and Dan Patrick. Anchors in the early 90's.

Fucking hilarious. Intelligent humor. These guys made me laugh - made me laugh - while they informed and educated me about the sports world. There have been a million anchors over the years and I am sure there were plenty of good ones. Some with good senses of humor. But KO and DP set the standard for sharp wit and irreverence.

At some point the show became corporatized. Instead of allowing for originality, idiot corporate execs came up with a blueprint for how the show should be done. Loosely based on a sense of humor; supposed off the cuff comments, pseudo-witty asides. Except the people who do the show have no sense of humor, no personality, no unique perspective. So the show is predictable, boring, and unfunny. Explosive diarrhea is more enjoyable.

When I moved up here I lost my connection to sports. My schedule got jumbled, Good Morning Football is not currently on the air, blah blah blah. Ironically enough the Celtics re-kindled my interest. As they blasted their way through the finals I started tuning in to SportsCenter and talk shows to improve my Celtics IQ. So that's where this rant is coming from.

Brief aside: Am I supposed to like Pat McAfee? I think I do. Need a bigger sample size before the final decision.

More Evidence of Decay: Hostess Cupcakes. 

I love them. Always have. I go through periods of denying myself that pleasure, pretending that I am going to lose weight. Then I go back to them. I shudder to think of all the pleasurable foods I have denied myself over the years, delusionally believing I was doing myself some good. And I am still fat.

Carpe Diem, baby.

Up here I keep my cupboard stocked with Hostess Cupcakes. But they are smaller. They are definitely smaller. I have to eat three at a time to get the same satisfaction. Kidding.

And I think they taste different. Not worse, just different. Could just be in my head, though - I have that perpetual, old-person suspiciousness - I trust no one and nothing. You know the drill - "Things were so much better when I was young."

The good thing, the positive thing, is that my life has actually gotten better over the years. Explosively so at the age of 69. 

Pretty fucking amazing, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment